From its earliest days, St. Anne’s has had a cemetery, and the cemetery remains an integral part of our parish to this day. We believe that a cemetery is a place of healing and hope. It allows a relationship to be acknowledged, remembered, changed and incorporated into the present, where the mourner can acknowledge his loved one’s existence, where we can renew our faith as well as our spirit.
St. Anne’s Cemetery: A Short History
Around 1790 Elizabeth Bordley gave St. Anne’s some land between Northwest Street and the shores of Dorsey (now College) Creek. This was originally known simply as the City Cemetery. Many graves from the St. Anne’s churchyard were removed there to create the space that is now Church Circle. Many of those removed were unidentified and they are buried together in a grassy mound near the highest point close to the original family vault of the Bordleys. The oldest stone in St. Anne’s Cemetery is dated 1767.
The section of the cemetery closest to the Church is also known as Locust Grove Cemetery. A group of redoubtable ladies called The Saint Anne’s and Locust Grove Cemetery Association took care of the cemeteries for many years starting in 1887. The Cemetery Endowment was established in 1909 and is still in existence today taking care of bequests and endowments for the cemeteries and churchyard. There have been more than 2400 burials in Locust Grove.
Cemetery boundaries were enlarged in 1901 when the City of Annapolis deeded to St. Anne’s a triangular plot of about two acres along the then newly constructed Rowe Boulevard. In 1990, Cedar Bluff Cemetery was merged with St. Anne’s Cemetery. With over one thousand burials, this was first established (do we know when?) as an Elks cemetery and, at one time, housed an African-American chapel of worship.
In addition to veterans from most wars and conflicts there are many well-known Annapolitans buried here. This includes members of the Randall, Buchanan, Mackubin, Murray, Key, Pinkney, Claude, Fell, Tilton, Waddell, Dorsey and Brice families.
A transcription of grave markers was completed around 1980 by the Anne Arundel County Geneaological Society. More information can be found at www.aagensoc.org.
Spaces for burials are still available. More information: contact Mark LaBuda email@example.com, 410-267-7184 or 410-353-7436.
Two locations compose St. Anne’s Cemetery. The first is the area around the church which has been used as a cemetery since 1692. The second – far larger – section is located today, as it has been for the last 200 years, between Northwest Street and College Creek.
There are still many lots available for sale. They can be used for traditional burials or for several cremation burials. Our Cemetery Manager, Mark LaBuda, can assist with any inquiries.
Cemetery Use Rules
This document contains the Rules and Regulations governing visitation to St. Anne’s Cemetery Properties.